Spring Semester Course Dates: See Canvas
International Travel Dates: March 8 - 17, 2019
(Depart from U.S.A. - Depart from host country)
This program will serve to expand students' knowledge about different production strategies in the country of Peru. This will include IPM and production of crops for export, self-subsistence, and internal markets. Students will also examine sustainability agriculture, ecology and insect diversity in different ecological regions. The program will offer students a 1 credit-hour seminar course: ENT 770: Entomology Study Abroad.
The international component of this program will include visits to:
- International potato center and national University “La Molina”
- semi-desertic high intensity vegetal production in the coast
- self-subsistence native plant agriculture west Andes (3000 meters above sea-level)
- tropical areas in Amazon rain forest - east Andes
Over the course of one week abroad, students will learn about Peru's intensive agricultural system in the coastal plains, where high valued produce and fruit are grown for export. They will also experience the the rich history and current socio-cultural issues in Peru, as well as the culinary diversity of Peruvian cuisine. Finally, students will study self-subsistence and sustainable systems of crop production in all regions, and learn the entomological diversity of different ecological regions in central Peru.
For a draft of the day-by-day itinerary, click here!
- IPM in different ecological regions
- Experience the rich history and socio-cultural issues, as well as the culinary diversity of Peruvian cuisine.
- Complete a 1 credit-hour seminar course which includes travel to Peru over spring break.
This program is open to graduate students who are pursuing Entomology or a related agricultural field.
UK Faculty-Directed programs are conducted by University of Kentucky faculty and staff. UK GPA credits and grades will be awarded by the program director for the successful and timely completion of all required program activities and assignments, including any required on-campus meetings before or after the program's international travel.
- Students will enroll in ENT 770: Topical Seminar: Entomology Study Abroad in Peru (1 credit hour).
Housing & Meals
Students will reside in hotels or guest houses for the duration of the program. All meals will be included as part of the per student program fee.
Costs and cancellation policies vary by program. Please see the "Program Costs and Budget" information page. Be sure to consider the associated UK costs, program specifications, and related travel expenses.
Please note the CDC recommended vaccines for travel to Peru. Costs of each vaccine may vary based on the health insurance of the participant. Below are the average costs of some recommended vaccines if they are not covered by insurance:
- Yellow Fever vaccine - $400
- Typhoid vaccine - $92
- Hep A vaccine - $179
- Malaria pills - $40 (~$5 per day)