UK Exchange: National Chengchi University's Department of Diplomacy (Patterson School of Diplomacy & International Commerce)
This is an invaluable experience for a Patterson School student. You will spend a semester abroad in Taiwan’s leading department responsible for training future leaders and elite international affairs professionals. More than a hundred ambassadors, four foreign ministers and countless political, business and academic elites have graduated from the department since its inception.
The Department of Diplomacy is staffed with leading scholars in the fields of international political, economic, and strategic affairs. Most of them hold doctoral degrees from American and European universities. In additional to classes offered in English in the Diplomacy department, you may also take classes in the other departments under International Affairs, such as East Asian, Central Asian, or Japan studies, as well as in the renowned business school.
A knowledge of the Asia Pacific region is critical to understanding international affairs. The Diplomacy department is strong in Asian economic integration. You are have the opportunity to take courses in Mandarin and use the language on a daily basis.
Explore the NCCU online course catalog.
Please note: NCCU doesn't release its spring courses listings until January so you will need to search the listings for the previous spring semester when looking for courses.
A semester at the university will also allow for a greater appreciation of the region through co-curricular activities, including conferences and student clubs.
The Patterson School of Diplomacy will provide a stipend to cover airfare and travel medical insurance.
- NCCU's Department of Diplomacy is the leading institution in Taiwan for training diplomats
- Learn from leading scholars in political, economic and strategic affairs, with a focus on East Asian affiars
- Learn in English alongside classmates from Asia, Europe and the United States
- Mandarin classes at all levels available as part of the exchange
This program is open to graduate students currently enrolled in the Patterson School of Diplomacy and International Commerce.
Students must possess a valid passport at the time of application to this program.
2 | UK Education Abroad & Exchange University
Students will be notified by the UK Exchanges Coordinator on how to access the Exchange University application AFTER their UK application has been approved.
Students will earn transfer credit from NCCU. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by NCCU. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, however the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the UK Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
Mandarin classes will count towards the language requirement, but not towards the 30 credits required for the MA.
- PRIOR to participating on this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the course will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in application materials.
- Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the UK Education Abroad office. Once received, Education Abroad staff will facilitate the transfer of credits to UK.
- All students will be enrolled in EAP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) at UK during their term abroad.
Housing & MealsA limited amount of accommodation is available at NCCU's off-campus International House. NCCU also offers on-campus dormitory accommodation, and can assist students who prefer to find private off-campus housing.
Students are responsible for their own meals for the duration of the program. There are numerous student cafes on and off campus, as well as Chinese and Western grocery stores.
Discover more about life at NCCU.
Costs and cancellation policies vary by program. Please click on the Program Cost and Budget information for each term. Be sure to consider the associated UK costs, program specifications, and related travel expenses.