May 16 - June 16, 2019
(Depart from U.S.A. - Depart from host country)
In the wonderful and historically rich setting of Valencia, Spain, students will engage in the study of exercise science and environmental exercise physiology by visiting one of the Centers for High Performance Sports Council Facilities (Consejo Superior de Deportes: Centro de Alto Rendimiento, CAR) just outside Granada, Spain. The CAR is one of the only high-altitude training centers for sport performance in the world and is located at 2,320 m above sea level. During this four week program, students will also participate in a variety of cultural and educational excursions, as well as classroom sessions at the University of Valencia.
Students will develop basic knowledge of historic sites and cities. Program activities include a paella cooking class, guided tour of the Sagrada Familia, a visit to the Ciudad de las Artes y de las Ciencias, a flamenco show, and a guided tour of the Alhambra. During their free weekends in Spain, participants may opt to visit Some of Spain’s main cities (Barcelona, Sevilla, Madrid, etc.) as well as neighboring European countries (France, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, etc.).
For a sample of the day-by-day itinerary, click here!
- Apply basic knowledge of exercise physiology and exercise testing to environmental or elite performance training at altitude by visiting one of the Centers for High Performance Sports Council Facilities in Spain.
- Visit and get hands-on experience with the exercise physiology laboratory at the Catholic University of Valencia.
- Discuss and compare concepts of public transportation, obesity, exercise and diet in Spain with cultural norms in Kentucky.
- Through required field excursions, explore and discuss the value of different cultural lifestyles relating to health and exercise.
This program is open to undergraduate students from all academic disciplines. For more information on how to apply to the University of Kentucky as a visiting student, go to UK Admissions. Non-UK students should consult with the program director prior to applying to ensure that they have the proper academic background for the course.
UK Faculty-Directed programs are conducted by University of Kentucky faculty and staff. UK GPA credits and grades will be awarded by the program director for the successful and timely completion of all required program activities and assignments, including any required on-campus meetings before or after the program's international travel.
- Students will enroll in KHP 420G: The Physiology of Exercise (3 credit hours).
- Students may enroll in KHP 395: Independent Study for an additional 3 credit hours.
- All students will be enrolled in EAP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour).
Housing & Meals
Students will reside in hotels for the duration of the program in Granada and Barcelona. While in Valencia, students will reside in homestays. Breakfast will be provided each day while in a hotel, and three meals per day will be provided while in homestays. Students will be responsible for the cost of all other meals on their own.
Costs and cancellation policies vary by program. Please see the "Program Costs and Budget" information page. Be sure to consider the associated UK costs, program specifications, and related travel expenses.